I picked this particular album up when I was hitting the town with friends a few months ago. Holding it in my hands, I noticed something: the name of the band (and the interesting font choice for that name) emblazoned on the album cover, which features two blurry men standing back-to-back and strumming guitars. Since I recognized the band's name from one of my favorite novels (Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. Go read it.) I decided to chance listening to the band. And boy, I'm glad I did.
"Get Me Out of Here", The first track is a peppy part-country, part-folk, all awesome tune about escaping the city and returning to nature. Don't let the "part-country" bit fool you, because Billy Pilgrim is full of surprises. This song is all about escape. Escape from the "crowded streets" and the "subway's steamy kiss" to the clarity of the countryside. The cheery guitar quickly transformed into a fevered strum, much like the singer's initial dissatisfaction evolves into passionate cry for escape. It's great.
The following track, "Insomniac", sounds very similar to the initial track, but with some gorgeous female vocals joining in to emphasize just how good it is to be loved. Or how good it is to just finally get some goddamned sleep.
By far the best track on the album is "Hula Hoop". It incorporates both the dramatic harmonica intro with the "ahh-ahh" reminiscent of doo-wop. It's a happy bop with cutesy lyrics. There's nothing kitschy about it, though. It's all genuine, which makes it irresistible to jam out to.
Billy Pilgrim's sound is happy, upbeat, and simple. It masks a poetic complexity which takes the listener by surprise. Sometimes, the sound can be a bit samey, but since it's a solid sound, I don't actually find myself caring too much. I'm disappointed that this band was so short-lived, because this album promises so much.
RELEASE DATE: 1994
LABEL: Atlantic Records
RUN TIME: 32 min
TOP TWO TRACKS: "Hula Hoop", "Lost and Found in Tinseltown"
GRADE: A-
FINAL COMMENTS: This is a really really REALLY good album. When I come back as a ghost, I'll possess people just to make them buy it. Maybe it'll revive the band. Who knows?
No comments:
Post a Comment